I don’t like pink. Really, I don’t! I’ve spent far too much time in my life harping on about how I just want the same trainers as the boys and not the ones in the “girls” section that are, inevitably, pink. But there have been occasions when pink shoes have crept into my wardrobe, and right now is one of those times.
I didn’t get my first pair of pink shoes until I was 17 (thankfully my mum dressed me in navy and white Mary Janes rather than sugary shades). They were a garish pair of patent loafers from Shellys of London, bought via mail order before the Internet existed. I really liked that they were chunky and masculine, but had the juxtaposition of a feminine colour. I think this is the reason that I’m also on board with the idea of pink trainers; there aren’t any bows and sparkles, they’re just regular kicks in shades of salmon, candy floss and rose…AKA millennial pink. Which is why plenty of guys are buying them too.
On that note, I draw the line at anything brighter than a strong blush. This season’s pastels work well because you can clash them with unexpected shades of mustard or emerald. Fuchsia is a little more difficult to pair with a pair of brown cords or gingham palazzos.
Anyway, if I can stomach pink trainers, I figure it must mean that plenty of you can too, so I thought I would round up the best ones out there right now. Happy shopping!
1. Clae ‘Bradley’ sneakers in rose nubuck, €120 (clae.eu)
2. Palladium baggy low in salmon pink, £50 (thenaturalshoestore.com)
3. Nike Air Max ’97, £145 (pampamlondon.com) and main image (picture credit Pam Pam London)
4. & Other Stories scratch strap sneakers, £79 (stories.com)
5. Prada shearling trimmed sneakers, £510 (net-a-porter.com)
6. Superga 2750 Classic in pink, £50 (superga.co.uk)
adidas Campus in raw pink, £79.95 (adidas.co.uk)
8. Common Projects Achilles low tops, £290 (selfridges.com)
9. Filling Pieces Denver Tracking Cosmo Desert, €240 (fillingpieces.com)
10. Aerska London Pink Glow trainers, £129 (aerska.com)
11. New Balance 574 Art School, £70 (new balance.co.uk)
12. Converse One Star in dusk pink, £65 (converse.com)
13. Vans leather Old Skool, £65 (vans.co.uk)
14. Reebok Club C 85 in shell pink, £70 (pampamlondon.com)
15. Axel Arigato platform sneakers, £140 (axelarigato.com)
16. Nike Cortez in pale pink leather, £69.99 (offspring.co.uk)
17. Saucony Jazz Original in vintage pink, £64.99 (kickslove.com)