Say hello to yet ANOTHER sort of backless loafer type shoe that’s hot news this summer: the babouche slipper. The Moroccan babouche slipper differs from other slip-on styles with its naive design; these shoes should look like you picked them up at a bustling market from the actual guy or gal who hand made them, rather than on the high street. To be a true babouche, they should either be backless or, as with the trend this season, have such soft leather on the heel that you can choose to wear them up or down. They look great in a really plain leather or suede, but you can also do a more fancy version of the babouche with metallic finishes or embroidery. The leather should be really, really flexible – like actual slippers – which also makes them more lightweight than regular loafers and therefore, perfect for summer, as well as really comfortable from the first wear.
1. Vagabond ‘Antonia’ babouche slippers, £65, vagabond.com
I’ve got myself a bright red pair from Vagabond and I love them. The style, called ‘Antonia’, is also available in tan, black and cream, but Vagabond also has another babouche style called ‘Ayden‘ which is available in six colours, including bright pink suede. As the vamp tends to come pretty high up on the foot, I think they look best with an almond or pointed toe rather than one that’s too round, as it’s just a bit more elegant, although you might want to stuff the very ends with a bit of cotton wool to prevent them turning upwards. Here are my favourite styles available right now. I’d love to know your favourites – leave comments below!
2. 3.1 Philip Lim floral print babouche slippers, £330, net-a-porter.com
3. Bohemia decorative babouche slippers, £36, wolfandbadger.com
4. Massimo Dutti suede babouches, £74.95, massimodutti.com
5. & Other Stories leather slippers, £65, stories.com
6. Mango suede babouches, £35.99, shop.mango.com
7. Penelope Chilvers pony slipper mules, £99, penelopechilvers.com
8. Zara ‘Join Life’ flat leather shoes, £29.99, zara.com
9. Free People ‘Weekdays’ leather flats, £52, freepeople.com
10. ACNE Studios ‘Amina’ slippers, £380, matchesfashion.com
11. Next weave mules, £35, next.co.uk