It’s been a while since I did a straight trend piece you can get your shopping fix from. Sorry about that. So I’ve pulled my odd socks up and rounded up the best folk-inspired sandals and espadrilles around right now so that you can grab yourself a pair before we all get caught out by unseasonably good weather again, like I did this weekend. Because yes, folks, the folk trend is a Thing.
- Mango pompom sandals, £49.99, shop.mango.com
Folk was big news on the SS17 catwalks, making an appearance at Alexander McQueen, Loewe and Balmain to name but three, but it’s in shoes and accessories that it really comes into its own. While you might not have the inclination to wear a Mexican blanket-style cardigan dripping with tassels, a pretty pair of embroidered sandals might just be your thing. Or how about some leather thongs with a spattering of colourful pompoms? Ideal jeans partners, those, and the perfect pairing for THE skirt of the summer, the gingham prairie skirt (above).
2. Zara lace-up leather espadrilles, £45.99, zara.com
Espadrilles, which are huge in their own right this season, work particularly well with the addition of a floral design or some striped ribbons. I do love espadrilles but a word of caution if you are unfamiliar with them: do not wear them in the rain! The soles are made of dried grass, so this is a recipe for disaster! They’re unlikely to last more than one summer, too, so consider this when you’re looking at your budget. And if you happen to be holidaying on the continent, you’ll easily pick up a bright jaunty pair for about €5 in a market or even supermarket, so you might want to wait until then. But if you can’t wait, there are some lovely styles here to choose from!
3. River Island pompom sandals, £36, riverisland.com
4. Next tassel mule sandals, £45, next.co.uk
5. Bill Blass ‘Sutton’ espadrilles, £200, freepeople.com
6. ASOS ‘Femme’ embroidered sandals, £25, asos.com
7. Kurt Geiger ‘Raphy’ sandals, £65, kurtgeiger.com
8. Topshop ‘Halle’ embroidered sandals, £24, topshop.com
9. Figue ‘Salome’ pompom sandals, £210, matchesfashion.com
10. White Stuff tassel sandals, £39.95, whitestuff.com
11. Ravel ‘Savannah’ embroidered leather sandals, £40, ravel.co.uk
12. J Crew pompom sandals, £128, jcrew.com
13. Sam Edelman ‘Jasmine’ embroidered espadrilles, £98, anthropologie.com
14. ASOS ‘Fanatic’ pompom sandals, £25, asos.com
15. Soludos sandals, £95, veryexclusive.co.uk
16. New Look pompom sandals, £25.99, newlook.com
17. Tabitha Simmons ‘Dotty’ espadrilles, £335, net-a-porter.com
I’d love to know your favourites – leave comments below!